Suture Scissors are a type of Mayo scissors that are mostly used in the cutting of Fascia. Mayo Scissors were introduced by Mayo Clinic surgeons. Mayo scissors are made up of stainless steel or titanium, but titanium is preferred on stainless steel. The most used scissors are made up of stainless steel and are disposable because it is easier, as they don’t need to be sterilized and reprocessed.
Sizes of Mayo scissors:
The sizes that are available in Mayo scissors can be standard or extra-long scissors, but normally they are 150 mm to 170 mm.
Types of Mayo scissors:
Mayo scissors have semi-blunt ends, a feature that differentiates them from other surgical scissors. The two types are as follows:
- Suture Scissors:
Suture scissors are a type of Mayo scissors and lie in the category of straight-bladed Mayo scissors. Which are designed for cutting body tissues, which are near to the wound. This type of scissors is used when the wound is near to the skin and don’t have to penetrate
- Curved-Bladed Mayo scissors:
Curved-Bladed Mayo scissors are used when the surgeons have to do deep penetration in the skin. This type of mayo scissors can cut thick tissues like the tissues of the uterus, muscles, breasts, and foot.
Other names for Suture Scissors:
Other names for suture scissors are:
- Surgical scissors
- Nurse’s scissors
- Dissecting scissors
- Heavy tissue scissors
How Suture Scissors can get sterilized:
The suture scissors are sterilized in such a way that the sharpness of the blade and the life of the tool is effected, so they are sterilized while keeping the material of the tool. The methods by which suture scissors are sterilized are as follows:
- Autoclaving: autoclaving is a process in which the tools are placed in a large, steel vessel or chamber which produces high-temperature steam and pressure to sterilize the tools. Autoclaves are one of the most economical methods that many medical organizations use to sterilize their tools while keeping the process as short as possible.
- Plasma sterilization: plasma is the 4th state of matter and it is created when gas is heated sufficiently or is exposed to a strong electromagnetic field. Plasma sterilizes tools by a method which is known as oxidation. A chemical reaction is produced by plasma which kills all the microorganisms and bacteria present on the tool. This process is done ata low temperature and does not affect the quality or sharpness of the tool.
- Chemical sterilization: chemical sterilization uses hydrogen peroxide vapor. The vaporized hydrogen peroxide (VHP) sterilizers are used in the process, they remove the excess humidity from the environment, and after removing the humidity hydrogen peroxide vapor is exposed to the surface of the tool which removes all the microorganisms and bacteria from the surface.
Uses of Suture Scissors:
Suture scissors are used for the following purposes:
- Used to cut suture and supplies.
- Used to cut Heavy tissue (fascia, muscle, uterus, breast).
- Delicate tissue.
- Used for Dissecting.
- Used to cut gauze or tubing.
For more information related to Medical topics check ProRemarks. A platform that has authentic information.